Sunday, October 11, 2009

Final Blog -- October 11, 2009. Mind the Gap, Mind Your Head, Mind the Headwinds

PAULDING, OH (Sunday morning, October 11, 2009) -- Saying goodbye to Niku and Anca was very hard. We had agreed, no tears, just a "See you later". I never realized how much this country -- and her people -- would touch my heart. My outbound flight on British Air would be leaving at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday, the 10th. Andre, from City Shuttle, arrived promptly at 6:00 a.m. to drive me to the airport. There was no traffic and the trip was short. I had to repack everything. I wanted to try to just carry on one bag, so I tried to get everything in one suitcase. Big mistake.

When checking my suitcase, it was pointed out to me that it was too "heavy". I had to open in and remove items that I could carry on. I went from having one carry on to having two - really heavy - bags. My shoulders were aching after the hike of miles and miles (it seemed) before reaching the gate, both in Bucharest and at Heathrow.

The flight from Bucharest to London was uneventful. I had the forward bulkhead seat in Business Class on the British Air 767. The steward sat and talked with me about Romania, the change in the country since the Revolution, and the U.S. in general. He was from the U.K. and upon hearing of my humanitarian trip, commented, "You know, most of us over here do not think of all the good Americans do around the world." He commented about his country's defense budget and how it pales next the American defense budget. Although he did not really agree with the U.S. or his country sending troops to war-torn area, he acknowledged the role both countries have in the world. "We must take care of our own problems in our own countries instead of trying to be involved in other country problems." It was nice having a conversation regarding these issues -- and about the humanitarian missions the U.S. undertakes around the world.

At Heathrow I noticed a "Mind Your Head" warning sign under a low ceiling. This phrase, along with "Mind the Gap" are reminders of this U.K. city. The London flight boarded soon after I arrived at Heathrow. I sat next to a very quiet business man named Matt. He finally warmed up to at least smile when he excused himself. I was on the aisle and had to let him out of our row. A fellow passenger across the aisle decided he wanted to discuss the woes of the U.S., the economy, the Nobel Peace Prize, etc. He had a never ending glass of red wine and seemed to be getting more and more animated in conversation.

I put on my headphones and watched four movies: I Hate Valentine's Day and My Life in Ruins with one of my favorite actresses, Nia Vardalos (My Big Fat Greek Wedding); Yes Man with Jim Carrey (hilarious); My Sister's Keeper and finally, Angels & Demons with Tom Hanks. A strong headwind caused the pilot to reroute more north over Iceland and Greenland. We arrived fifty minutes late into Dallas. And, because of this late arrival, many of the passengers (including me), missed our connecting flight.

The American Airlines personnel rerouted me later in the evening on a flight to Indianapolis. I called Fred and he said he would drive down (three hours) and pick me up. The staff was very polite and competent. I was upgraded to First Class for this flight, but it did not matter as I slept off and on during this final leg.

Fred picked me up in Indy and we were on our way by 11:15 p.m. My luggage DID make the connection to Fort Wayne (CORRECTION -- DID NOT make it to Fort Wayne -- just got word) so I made a claim. Apparently it is still in Dallas, but American Airlines is trying to find it. They will deliver it to the house. Fred was patient as I talked non-stop for at least an hour about the trip. It was a trip of a lifetime with a lifetime of memories. My heart is filled with the new friendships I made as well as the promise for an optimistic future for Romania. I will periodically add to this blog as memories come to the surface. Meanwhile this opportunity will be cherished as a special blessing in my life. I will never be the same.

I was thrilled to see a sign in our yard supporting the library levy. I was greeting by a lot of wet dog kisses from Daisy and Molly. The cats seemed indifferent, but still managed to make their presence known. I climbed the staircase and saw the project Fred had been working on all week. The entire computer room was gutted! He was remodeling. The original walls were exposed. Fred piled lots of insulation in the gaps. It will be fun to watch (and help) him finish this beautiful room. I am very grateful to his mom, Donna and brother, Jeff for their help.

So, life goes on -- there are messages in support of the library levy to get out, and many other projects on hold. Each day as my life in Paulding takes over, I will always take time out in my day to think back on some of the most amazing days in my life -- six days in Romania. Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Those indifferent pisicas! Don't they realize that there are loving cats in Romania! Pay attention, kitties!

    Glad you are safe, and you sure sound "sound".

    Wow, Susie, with a great big "W".

    Here's a welcome home hug from your Hills of Texas.

    Love you, appreciate you sharing so eloquently your trip with us. Yes, that is a trip of a lifetime. Yes, you will never be the same, and you can bet those Romanians who were blessed with your speeches will never be the same either!

    Keep on posting your memories as you catch up on your "normal" life. Your blog is firmly entrenched as one of my favorites.

    Give a high five to Fred for us for being the trooper he is. We love you, Susie-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie,
    I have enjoyed reading this entire adventure!!! Just caught with the last leg here today, tardy albeit.
    I am printing this off to send to my Mother. She will share it with all of her friends at UNR's Elder College. She's still in school at 87! They will all (maybe not all...lol!) marvel and love it! Some a them old folks is stubborn!!!
    What a great trip it sounds like you had, and you wrote about it so beautifully. No one knows better than you. You are a true blessing to those you have touched.
    Me being 1.
    Love you my dear sister.
    xo

    ReplyDelete