Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sunday, October 4th! Arrival in Bucharest.

Flight on British Airways was smooth into Romania. The landscape, as we descended into Bucharest, looked like a patchwork crazy quilt. Square and rectangular blocks of different colored stripes – wonder what the crops are? Some looked purple, some green, some blue, some brown, some yellow… the countryside was dotted with villages and small towns. The mountains were beautiful.

As the plane taxied to the terminal, it looked as though the airport was in dire need of some TLC. Two large jets, sans engines, were just parked in the grass next to the taxi way. Like the beginnings of a jet junkyard. Weird. A large billboard confirmed that the International Airport was going through major modernization. Stable and consistent funding is still difficult to secure for any of the urban renewal projects. I get the impression that there is so much to be done, that it is difficult to know where to begin.

Through customs, the Romanian officer smiled and asked me where I was from. “Ohio.” I answered. “No, you can’t be. We have no flights from there,” he laughed. “Oh, okay… London.” He laughed again and asked, “So, you think you like me?” Being the ever-friendly American, I answered, “Sure. You’re the first smiling face I have seen.” He laughed, gave me my passport and waved me through.

My luggage arrived safe and sound – good sign. Eduard, my driver, was waiting outside of the terminal along with a lot of other drivers – another good sign. As he drove me through the streets of Bucharest, (a white-knuckled drive), we tried to converse in his broken English and my small amount of Romanian. “We have dogs. A problem,” he explained as I pointed to a pack of roaming dogs. “Why?” I asked. “The Government will not do anything about them.” Apparently dogs have been roaming the city for years, living on what they can find. It is so strange to see so many. Weaving in and out of cars, Eduard swerved to avoid hitting a stopped car that had just parked in the middle of the lane. “Parking,” he said, “our second problem.” Mental note – too many homeless dogs – not enough parking spaces.

It is hard to describe this city. There are ruinous buildings next to new construction. The architecture in many places had been beautiful in its day, but was in need of repair. On Embassy row, ambassadors’ residences, beautiful mansions will be next to unoccupied mansions overgrown with boarded windows.

The city looks tired and old. It looked like it had come through a revolution and was trying desperately to become vibrant and modern – which is the truth. Twenty years ago, the country did go through a revolution and since the fall of communism, it is taking time to rebuild and modernize this great capital.

Years of hardship seem to be etched on the faces of the older people. It was gray and rainy as we drove to the hotel, and this just added to the depressing feel. Yet, as the splashes of orange, yellow and red painted buildings add color to a dreary landscape – it is the same way the new construction, the modern services add optimism to Bucharest.

There is a large park in the middle of the city. Even though it was raining, families, couples, singles, were parking and visiting their park. The park is wooded with walking paths and benches. That is all. But the Romanians flock to this oasis of green and peace – a contrast next to the stark realities of urban life.

Another interesting aspect of this growing city was the amount of wire. Telephone poles connected dozens and dozens of wires - the excess hanging in loops on each pole. I asked Eduard about all the wires. “The Internet,” he answered.

Just got a call from my U.S. Embassy in Romania contact, Anca. She will meet me in the morning at about 8:15 or so, then on to the American consulate and as she said “the presentations begin!”

2 comments:

  1. Great writing, Susie. You have a great gift in the way you describe things. Thank you for this blog!

    Love you-

    G

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I'm right along with you. Keep up the great journaling.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete